In the Pelstergasthuiskerk we find a beautiful two-manual organ that was originally built in 1627. The maker was probably Anthoni Waelckens; of the pipe work added by him probably only a few remnants have been preserved.
In 1693 and in 1712 the organ was substantially rebuilt by Arp Schnitger (he built a new Positive and a new great organ) and again in 1774 by organ builder Albertus Anthonie Hinsz, who enlarged the organ and moved it to the west wall. The organ is now identified as a Schnitger-Hinsz organ.
In the 19th century the organ was worked on by father and son Freytag and by Petrus van Oeckelen. The current façade pipes were made by the latter. After a proposal by Van Oeckelen’s son in 1916 to completely replace the organ, which fortunately was not honored, some minor changes were made in the 20th century.
In 1989/91 the Bakker & Timmenga company carried out a larger restoration, in which the situation of 1774 served as a starting point.