Menu Close

Martinikerk

The main organ of the Martinikerk is in its origin one of the oldest instruments in the Netherlands. The organ was most likely created before the year 1450. Around 1481 parts of this organ were used to build a new, top-quality instrument. The renowned humanist and town clerk Rudolf Agricola played an important role as advisor. The development of the organ peaked in the 18th century when it was successively expanded by the famous organ builder Arp Schnitger, his son Franz Casper and Albertus Hinsz.
During the most recent restoration of the organ (which was completed in 1984) the situation of 1740 was taken as a starting point. With its 3500 pipes and 53 stops, the Martini organ is one of the largest North-European baroque organs. The stops are distributed over the great organ, a positive and swell and a free pedal.

X Sluiten